I don't want to describe the movie I was talking about last night in too much detail. A big part of the pleasure of it is the way the story reveals itself. I'll say it involves the option to have part of your memory erased and the consequences that could bring. What it brought to my mind last night was whether forgetting would be a wound or healing in that case. I have very strong feeling about that, and I'd love to hear what others think. The IMDB page is here, though you might want to wait until after you watch the movie if you plan to. Spoilers for certain! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338013/
The title comes from this passage by Alexander Pope:
How happy is the blameless vestal's lot!
The world forgetting, by the
world forgot
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each pray'r
accepted, and each wish resign'd.
Another story along that line is very much up my nerdy sci-fi alley. It was an episode of Star Trek: Voyager, by far my favorite incarnation in that universe. The computerized doctor had a very traumatic experience, and the humans decided to help him by erasing the memory. The memory kept surfacing no matter what they did. In the end, the humans sat with the doctor while he worked through the memory and dealt with the feelings that came from it. I last saw that episode about 15 years ago, and it has stayed with me very clearly ever since. I do love the way good sci-fi and fantasy use such incredible settings and characters to explore the most human of emotions.
Peace.
Thanks for these recommendations!
ReplyDeleteOn a totally different note, I just read a really good and dark book with fascinating characters. "Defending Jacob." Have you read it??